Proponents of a sweeping reform to regulate and legalize cannabis expect a hearing by the House Judiciary Committee tomorrow; they hope to shade off stereotypes and myths held by opposition legislators.
Two senators and twelve representatives co-sponsored the 209 House Bill, which would license the sale and cultivation of cannabis while taxing marijuana commodities, such as infused beverages and edibles. Jared Olsen, the bill’s chief sponsor and chair of the House Judiciary Commission, brought the proposed legislation months after a significant number of state residents asserted that they support recreational marijuana legalization.
According to Wyoming’s evaluation of the initiative, the policy would attach a 30% levy on cannabis sales and accrue around $47M annually in tax revenue. 65% of tax proceeds acquired yearly ($30.7M) would be allocated for a school foundation grant. The remaining 35% ($15.35M annually) would be apportioned for the regional administration of the jurisdiction where the sales occurred.
The reform would license cannabis organizations that test, grow, manufacture, transport, sell, or test marijuana. A micro-business permit would enable its holder to cultivate and sell cannabis. He/she would also be allowed to possess less than 150 marijuana plants.
Wyoming legislators have opposed marijuana legalization for a long time, however, the state’s voters showed a change of view in 2020. Since 2014, when a mere 37% of voters supported recreational marijuana legalization, attitudes have changed. By last year December, over half of the state’s residents (54%) seconded 21 and older adult-use.
Senator Case Cale said its time, adding that he thinks Representative Olsen has conducted his background research and he’ll support him. Cole wants the reform to attract serious attention.
The reform would allow 21 and over adults to cultivate a limited number of marijuana plants and use them. However, the plants should be hidden from public view.
The proposed legislation also states that America’s Agriculture Department would be in charge of cannabis administration.